Tuesday, March 25, 2008

WFMW- Buy groceries and fly for free!


Next month I am flying round trip to North Carolina on United Airlines. And while it may not be all that unusual to book a ticket using frequent flyer miles- keep in mind that I did not earn those miles by flying on United or even by using a miles earning credit card.

I earned my miles buying groceries.

Yup- groceries. You see Safeway (A.K.A. Dominicks, A.K.A. Vons, A.K.A. Pavilions, A.K.A. Genardis) has a little known program where you can earn United frequent flyer miles every time you buy groceries... Specifically every time you accumulate $250.00 spent on groceries, you earn 125 frequent flyer miles- just by punching in your Safeway club card number.

Of course you could earn your miles even faster by using a miles earning credit card to pay for your groceries and enrolling in the Safeway/United miles program. But since we avoid using credit cards, it takes me an average of 3-4 years of grocery shopping to earn a flight. So, yeah- it takes a while, but since I'm going to buy groceries anyway- I might as well earn a free flight at the same time!

You can check out the program (or enroll) here. Then head over to Shannon's for more WFMW tricks and tips!


LeeAnn

7 comments:

Milk in the Closet said...

Wow! Wish I had a Safeway in my town. I shop at an amazing grocery store called HEB, only found in Texas, I think. They do something called Bonus Points, where we accumulate one point for every dollar spent. Every 1,000 points, I think, earns me an HEB dollar. I only have three in my family, but each quarter, I get an HEB coupon for about $20. I have a friend who has three teenage sons at home. She gets about $75 each quarter. It's a great program. I'm going to buy groceries anyway; I might as well get something for it!

Mrs. Brownstone @ XBOX Wife said...

Great tip! It's fun to get stuff for free! Have a fun and safe trip to North Carolina!

Anonymous said...

WOW! I had no idea. My parents shop at Safeway all the time, and live across the country from me. Thanks so much for the tip.. I'm going to email my mom now!

~ Amy @ Memoirs of a Mommy

Britni said...

Huh. I'd never heard of this... I may have to try this because I definitely buy groceries!

Anonymous said...

That's a great idea...I might have to check out Safeway more often.

Kathy in WA said...

I had no idea Safeway had such a program. Thanks for sharing! I'll have to look into that. I tend to shop at Albertsons (around the corner) over Safeway but I'll definitely share this with my Safeway loyal friends. :)

Duckabush Blog

MT said...

Great program - I should check to see if Kroger does something similar.

Hey, thanks for stopping by Writer-Mommy! I love your blog colors and the pic of your kids is funny!

Smiles atcha!