Sunday, August 5, 2007

It's the end of the world as we know it...

This morning, while getting ready for church, I flipped on the TV in my bedroom. The Core was showing on TNT. I watched about 45 minutes before we needed to leave for the service. I've seen the movie before, so it wasn't a big deal to miss the ending. They always seem to end the same way anyway... I know this because I love disaster flicks like Deep Impact, Armageddon, or Independence Day.

The plot is always the same- impending disaster in the form of an asteroid/alien invasion/natural disaster is threatening the entire Earth. Everyone on the planet will perish in 6 weeks/6 months/1 year. Humanity's only chance for survival lies with a small band of scientists/astronauts/hip university professors who undertake a secret mission, against all odds, to save the planet. During the course of this mission at least one member of the team will perish tragically while giving his/her life in an act of heroism. The remaining team member(s) will accomplish the mission and return as heroes. Earth will be forever changed, but the human race will rise again triumphant!

It might be formulaic, but it's a formula that I never get tired of...

Of course, real life doesn't always follow the formula. And frankly, as a mother of two teenagers (one with a visual impairment) and a 10 year old son with his own challenges- I deal with crisis on a day to day basis. Most are small- forgotten lunches, a flat tire, or a child with the flu. Others have been major- a child diagnosed with a disability, the death of J's parents, or giving birth to a critically ill baby.

Maybe that's why I like these movies so much... It's the one place where I'm guaranteed a happy ending. Actually, on second thought- it's not the only place. As a follower of Jesus, I look forward to the ultimate happy ending-

Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away." (Revelation 21:1-4)

No comments: