Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Who can control the wind?

I have blogger's block... I really do have something interesting to write about, but need to hold off until next week since it's a surprise for someone in my family. Someone who occasionally reads my blog...

So anyway, I spent my day at Ikea, buying storage/organization units. Then I ran down to downtown San Jose to pick up a kit to secure our washer and dryer, which we are going to stack. Since we live in earthquake country, we have to be careful about securing stuff like that.

A lot of people (who don't live here) tell me that they could never live anywhere where there are frequent earthquakes. Frankly they don't worry me (and yes, I was here for our last big quake- Loma Prieta in 1989). The one natural event that does really scare me is tornadoes.

Tornadoes are a lot of wind. I don't like wind. I'm afraid of wind.

Well, not terrified of wind. I mean- I like a nice, summer breeze... But, it scares me to drive in strong winds...

I think the thing that scares me most about it is that you can't see it. You can't predict it and don't know when it's going to hit. I know you can say the same things about earthquakes- but somehow it's just not the same...

I wonder if there is a name for people who are afraid of the wind? More specifically afraid driving in wind? I'm sure there must be. They have names for every other phobia. There's even a name for people afraid of phobias- "phobophobia".

All right- enough rambling for me. I'm off to bed. Where there is no wind. Except for maybe in my dreams...

1 comment:

hockeygirl said...

I am also terrified of tornadoes. When I lived in Arkansas there were tornadoes all the time. Unfortunately there was a really bad one once. I was driving on the highway trying to get home and a lazy boy chair flew across the highway in front of me. It was unreal.