Thursday, November 29, 2007

Santa's Favorite Story by Hisako Aoki

I originally wrote this post last month... But since WFMW is holiday themed this week, I thought if fit perfectly. I hope it works for you- check Shannon's site for more WFMW Christmas-ish tips!



If you're looking for books to share with your children this holiday season, let me introduce you to my all time favorite children's book for Christmastime... I purchased Santa's Favorite Story in a bundle from Scholastic when Teenage Son was in 1st grade and it quickly became a must read for our family. I have also used this book in Sunday School lessons as well as in my children's classrooms when they were younger (yes- in a California public school no less!).


This beautifully illustrated story tells of Santa going for a walk in the woods before Christmas. On his walk, he gets tired and falls asleep under a tree. When the forest animals discover him sleeping, they worry that he might be too tired to deliver presents this year- alarmed they ask "Does this mean there won't be Christmas?". Santa awakens and reassures the animals that Christmas will always happen because "Christmas hasn't anything to do with me". He then goes on to tell the animals the Christmas story. Santa concludes by saying "Love was the gift God gave to us on the first Christmas, and it still is you know. And this love is far better than any presents I can ever deliver." Refreshed by his nap, Santa and the animals then return to prepare for Christmas and Santa's annual Christmas eve journey.

I love this book because it bridges Santa and Jesus' birth so beautifully. Having Santa himself recant the true meaning of Christmas really brings it home for children. I hope that your family enjoys this book as much as we have!

6 comments:

Llama Momma said...

Okay, I've just added this to my Amazon order. This sounds like exactly what I'm looking for...

FrazzMom said...

Llama Momma-
I hope the boys enjoy it!
-Frazzmom

Anonymous said...

Now I'm going to have to go look and see if they have it here in the U.K. :)

jennwa said...

That looks like a great book. I am always looking for great books to read with my kids.

happygeek said...

What neat book! The illustrations look wonderful too! We celebrate St. Nicholas day to get Santa out of the way, this will be a great book to read to the boys next year!

lisa h. said...

thanks! great WFMW...i just put it on reserve at my library....we went to a scholastic warehouse sale last week and bought a ton of children's Christmas books to give to neighbors with Christmas cookies...maybe i'll find this one there next time!