Saturday, November 10, 2007

Sneaky Chili

Since it's starting to feel a little like fall, I was in the mood to make chili last night. While shopping for ingredients at Safeway, I pondered adding a can of pinto beans to the mix. It seemed like a good idea (extra fiber!), but at least two of my kids would have picked out the beans- or refused to eat it all together.While pondering this dilemma, I came up with the perfect solution.

Hide the beans!

It's true, they all ate their chili happily, not knowing that I had hid a can of pinto beans... In case you're feeling a little "sneaky" tonight- here is the recipe...

Sneaky Chili
2 pounds ground beef (I used 93% lean)
Carroll Shelby's Chili Mix (or your preferred seasoning)
8oz tomato sauce
1-2 cans pinto beans
shredded cheese, sour cream, and diced onions for topping if desired
Brown ground beef and remove from pot to drain (I usually just dump it all into a metal colander in the sink). While meat is draining, drain beans and put them in the pot. Use a potato masher to smash beans into a rough mash. Add meat back into pot. Add tomato sauce and 2 cans water. Add seasoning packet and salt to taste. Simmer 15-20 minutes.

No comments: