Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Of math worksheets and saplings...

I was thinking the other morning, that I have written several posts relating cute things that Young Son has said. However, I don't write nearly so often about Teenage Son or Teenage Daughter...

This might have something to do with the fact that at 15 and 13 years of age, I'm lucky that they even talk to me- let alone use cute expressions or make adorable, wonder-filled observations.

So, in light of all that, I thought I would relate a story from when Teenage Son was himself a young son...

He was a particularly verbose child and was famous for using big words at a tender age. A perfect example was the phone call that I received one evening from his kindergarten teacher, Mrs D- a wonderful teacher whom I found to be just a little intimidating...

Mrs. D- I just wanted to call you and tell you what your son said in class today...

Me- Oh? (Frantically hoping that he had not said something naughty at school and wondering if I would end up in the Principal's office)

Mrs. D- He informed me that he couldn't finish his math worksheet because it made him discombobulated!

Mrs. D then went on to inform me, laughingly, that this was the first time in her 30+ years of teaching that any child had said "discombobulated" to her...

If only she knew how discombobulated I feel when presented with a math problem, she might not have been so surprised.

After all... the golden delicious doesn't fall far from sapling.

No comments: