Saturday, September 8, 2007

Mazel Tov Frankie!

Today Teenage Daughter and I attended her best friend, Frankie's, Bat Mitzvah. This was the first time I have been to a temple service (unless you count visiting the Western Wall in Jerusalem) and I found it to be a deeply moving experience.

Even though this was the first service that I have attended, I have always loved all things Jewish. I love the history and tradition, the culture, the music, the holidays, and of course- the food... We light a hanukiah for Hanukkah every year, along with the lights on our Christmas tree. I can't recite the accompanying prayers in Hebrew as I light each candle, but I feel a connection knowing that, Jesus celebrated this same holiday.

For me, my fascination of Judaism is a natural extension of my personal journey as a follower of Jesus. After all- Jesus was Jewish, and Christianity really has it's roots in Judaism.

So, I'll be thinking about that all tomorrow when we go to church and worship Jesus, the Messiah, who came for us all- Jew and gentile.

No comments: