Tuesday, August 21, 2007

We interrupt this regularly scheduled blog, to bring you the following news...

Have you noticed an increase in overly dramatic headlines recently? Recently, I've noticed a couple of online items that have really bugged me... The first one ran last week-

Jessica Simpson was almost an unwed, teenage mother!

This pseudo-news story was all about how Jessica volunteered at an orphanage in Mexico when she was a teenager, and wanted to bring one of the orphans home with her... Sorry, but that is as close to being an unwed, teenage mother as my daughter was to being an owner of an exotic animal after a trip to the zoo when she was four. Please Mommy! Can I have a tiger, Mommy! I promise I'll take good care of it! Please!!!

The other story appeared on Sunday-

Tragedy strikes the set of Tom Cruise's new movie!

Wow a tragedy! Someone must have died, right? Wrong. What really happened is that about a dozen extras were injured when they fell from a truck during filming. However, no one was seriously injured. All were taken to the hospital to be checked out, and all but one were released with only minor cuts and bruises. One person was kept overnight for observation and released.

Um, excuse me?!! This is not a tragedy! It's an accident- possibly a serious accident (but I might even quibble with that), but still just an accident.

I guess that's what I get for getting my news on the Internet... Maybe there's something to be said for sticking with the newspaper after all. It might not be up-to-the-minute news. But at least it's usually newsworthy.

By the way- if you're confused as to the definition of a real tragedy click here, or here, or here.

No comments: