Friday, August 24, 2007

Tired of tires...

Lately I've been driving my husband's car, a Honda Pilot, since my Saturn Vue has been making some funny noises. One feature I like in the Pilot, is the TPMS. On Tuesday night, the low tire pressure light came on. I looked at the tire (rear, passenger side) and it looked a little low, but didn't seem like an emergency so I didn't stress over it at the time.

When I went out to look at it on Wednesday morning, it was looking pretty low. I called AAA and had them come out and fill the tire. Thinking it was OK, I spent the day driving around and running errands. By Wednesday night the light was back on.

Thursday was the first day of school for Young Son (4th grade) and Teenage Daughter (8th grade) and I awoke to a totally flat tire. Fortunately, we currently have a spare vehicle- so I used it to transport both kids to school. After returning home, Teenage Son and I took the Pilot down to our local Goodyear tire dealer for a repair.

Upon arrival, we were informed that it would be a couple of hours for the repair. Teenage Son and I decided to walk the 1/4 of a mile to BJ's for an early lunch. We ambled over, and after a brief wait for the restaurant to open, had a nice lunch. We walked back to Goodyear as the two hour mark rolled around.

That was when they informed me that the tire was not repairable and needed to be replaced. Actually, we needed two new tires. I signed the work order after consulting with J and the cashier went to check to make sure that they had the tires in stock. He returned and told me that they did have the tires, but that it would be three more hours until the vehicle was finished since there were three other cars ahead of mine.

Knowing that I needed to pick kids up from school in a couple of hours, and not wanting to wait for what would have been a minimum of 5 total hours, we drove back home instead. So I spent the rest of the day driving on the temporary spare (no faster than 50 mph!).

Today J had the day off, so we dropped the vehicle off at 9am this morning. Of course, by today, the tires were not in stock and they needed to get them brought over from another store. So it wouldn't be done until the afternoon. That was OK since J and I had driven two cars down, planning on just leaving the Pilot for the day. After being assured that it would be done by 6, I went on to a very busy day.

On the way home from Teenage Daughter's hair appointment, I received a cryptic message letting me know that the Pilot would be ready to pick up tomorrow at 11:00!

I called to find out what was going on and was informed that the mechanics had mistakenly serviced our vehicle last (thinking it was not due to be picked up until Saturday). By the time they discovered their error, the alignment guy had left for the day.

So now were supposed to pick the car up tomorrow at 10:00 am. I was assured that it would be the first vehicle serviced in the morning...

We'll see. At this point, I have to admit that I'm a little frustrated by the whole thing. Over 24 hours for two tires seems a little ridiculous to me... I'll be sure to update you all tomorrow.

Update... We did pick the vehicle up Saturday am and they still screwed it up! They put the tires on the rear instead of the front! ARGH!!!

1 comment:

C's Page said...

Yeah, I've been through the same thing w/ that Goodyear, but at least they told you why it was going to take that long. They never offered us an explaination and I was too irritated to think to ask.