Tuesday, May 6, 2008

What DOESN'T Work For Me Wednesday...

Shannon is holding a What DOESN'T Work For Me Wednesday themed bloggy carnival this week... So here it is...

Yelling STOP! or NO! in any kind of emergency situation doesn't work for me.

Let me explain- when Young Son was little, he was a runner. You know the type- always dashing into the street right in front of a car or just missing stepping on a baby rattlesnake on a creek walk...

I would cry out STOP! or NO! to no avail. It was like he didn't hear me... And then I realized that he probably didn't. After all he was the youngest of three young children and let's be honest here I was yelling No! and Stop! all the time.

So I changed my approach and changed my word to FREEZE! And you know what? It totally worked. The trick is that I only used that word when it was a safety issue and when I did use it, Young Son froze...

No! and Stop! didn't work for me. Stop by Shannon's to see what didn't work for others...

LeeAnn

2 comments:

Pam said...

Such a good idea. I'm going to try it next time with my son and see what happens. "NO" and "STOP" haven't worked for me either.

John-Michael said...

Nicely done, indeed! Thank you for being a voice outside of the din of the world's 'noise.' I do enjoy your insight and caring way of communicating your perspectives. Most refreshing!