Wednesday, June 18, 2008

There's no place like home(town)

I set up an account recently on one those social networking sites. One of the profile questions is "Hometown?"

I left it blank. Not because I don't want anyone to know where I live or where I came from. But because I don't really know myself.

I was born in Seattle and lived in its various suburbs and bedroom communities until I finished 2nd grade. Then we moved to Sandpoint, Idaho where I stayed until I graduated high school. I did a year in Bozeman at Montana State, then back to Sandpoint for a year, then I moved to the Silicon Valley where I've lived since 1989.

So where exactly is my hometown? Is it where I was born? Is it where I graduated from high school and spent what-were-probably-my-most-formative years? Or is it where I have lived the longest?

I don't really associate myself with Seattle- so we can eliminate that one. Sandpoint still feels like home, even though I haven't been back to visit for 8 years. But my parents still live there and we send our kids up to visit every summer... But, I don't really fit in there anymore. Which leaves the Silicon Valley where I have lived happily for the past 19 years.

So I guess if asked, I would say that I'm an Idaho/California girl (Idafornia? Calaho?) and we'll just leave it at that.

Where are you from?

What's your hometown?

LeeAnn

2 comments:

Genny said...

I always thought of my hometown as the place I was raised and not where I was born, but your post made me think. Smiles!

Deirdre said...

I totally get this. I was born in Tallahassee, FL, spent my real childhood in Black Mountain, NC but my heart is in Atlanta where I've lived since 3rd grade.