Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Because so far it wasn't easy, and it's not coming off...

As a result of what will forever be known as the tri-tip crisis of '08, I purchased this product. Following the directions on the can, I preheated my oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit, turned said oven off, and proceeded to spray the interior of my very dirty oven.

At least that was the way it was supposed to go.

What is not mentioned in the directions on the can is that spraying oven cleaner into a hot oven will cause the spray to vaporize as it hits the hot oven walls and then billow back into your face. And 2-3 minutes after this unpleasant event occurs, you will begin experiencing a pins-and-needles sensation on your skin as the caustic chemicals begin to burn your face...

Fortunately, quickly washing my face stopped the burning process and I am little worse for the wear. So after waiting for the oven to cool off, I reapplied the spray and waited. After several hours I gave it a test wipe and decided that it needed to sit awhile longer.

I've decided that I am NOT cooking anything for dinner tonight since I am worried about more fumes if the stove top gets hot. So we're going to dinner at our favorite family-run Mexican restaurant instead and I think we'll just let the oven sit overnight.

We'll deal with wiping it out tomorrow...


LeeAnn

1 comment:

Llama Momma said...

Oh my!!

Eating out is ALWAYS the best options...I mean, really. This is practically a life and death situation! ;-)