Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Pancake Tuesday...

Young Son has a good friend, A, who's family is British. Today A invited Young Son over to his house for Pancake Tuesday.

I have to admit that I had never heard of Pancake Tuesday and initially thought that it was something that A's family had invented. You know, like some quirky family tradition. But it turns out that Pancake Tuesday, also known as Shrove Tuesday, is a legitimate event. Essentially it gives homemakers the chance to use up the remaining butter and sugar in the home before Lent begins.

Anyway at A's house it's like an evening long crepe party with people stopping by to partake of crepes with butter, lemon, and sugar. Sort of like an open house at a crepery... I went over at 7:00 to pick Young Son up and ended up staying until 9pm when we finally dragged ourselves away- this being a school night and all.

All in all Pancake Day is definitely something I could get into... As a matter of fact I'm putting on my calendar now for next year!

LeeAnn

2 comments:

Christy said...

Ooh, sounds yummy! I love crepes but never make them!

liz said...

Hi--just browsing (linked from my sister, to katie to you)! What a great idea! Who doesn't love crepes? And they're a lot better for you than the doughnuts everyone sells around here!