Thursday, December 6, 2007

No soup for you!

Last weekend I was sick with a cold and the only thing that really sounded good was Jell-O. Sorting through the cupboard, I found several boxes. Wondering how long it had been since I had bought it, I checked the expiration date and discovered that yes, believe it or not, Jell-O does expire... Not only was my Jell-O expired, the date was way back in 2005!


So this morning after a run to Trader Joes, I decided to sort out my pantry, do a little organizing (or more accurately, a lot of organizing), and toss anything else that might have expired or had been opened and never eaten. Here's what I started with...


After an hour of sorting and checking expiration dates, I ended up with this...

I can't even tell you how much I found that needed to be tossed... These weren't so bad- at least they only expired this year.



These were a little bit older- they all expired in 2006. Notice that the coconut was never even opened- who knows what I even bought it for!




The worst offenders expired in 2005. I didn't even know canned goods could expire- after all Zero lived on 100 year old canned peaches when he was stranded in the desert in Holes... Well, now that I think about it, he did end up with a stomach ache and having to be carried up the mountain in a semi-conscious state. Maybe it's not such a good idea to get your food safety tips from kids movies after all...


After finishing the pantry, I went on to empty out all my cupboards and do some more tossing and reorganizing... Of course, now that it's all done- we can never eat at home again. Not only do we not have any food, but I don't want it all to get messed up!

No comments: