Monday, July 9, 2007

Praying for Shelly

I don't usually identify family or friends by name in my blog. Today is an exception...

Yesterday, my friend, Shelly's husband passed into eternity after a battle with cancer. It's only been a matter of months since Mark was diagnosed with a cancerous tumor on his leg. Initially it seemed like chemo and radiation were working, but Mark's kidneys began to fail and then the cancer spread. While we'll miss Mark, my heart is heavy for Shelly and her three children, ages 11-16. I keep thinking of all the upcoming decisions Shelly will have to make. As hard as the last few months have been; even harder times are coming.

The practical, "what can I do to help" side of me wants to jump in to start taking care of details for her. So I'll take a meal. I'll ask her what I can do to help. But mostly, I'll pray. I'll pray for peace, comfort, and wisdom as Shelly continues on without her husband.

Because I know that through the last few months, the Lord has been with Shelly and her family. I know that He is walking through this difficult journey with her now. And most importantly, He will stay by her side as she ventures into an unknown future.

And while that future is unkown to us. He knows it already, and He sees the time when Shelly and her family will come through their grief into joy again...

No comments: